I think that the reason this movie works so well is that the cast is pitch perfect. Maggie Smith is the least of them. Tom Wilkinson once again charms with his minimalist approach to acting. Judi Dench is radiant in her simple costumes and short white hair. Bill Nighy underplays as well. Imagine that we really could retire to a more joyful, spiritually rewarding place that serves delicious food. Wouldn’t we all want to go there? AARP, please start working on this now. A discount residential hotel in a beautiful foreign country that sees the elderly as a business opportunity, not as unwanted castoffs.
- Leaning into the Wind: Andy Goldsworthy. Directed by Thomas Riedelsheimer. 2017.
- The Shape of Water (2017), directed by Guillermo del Toro.
- Black Panther (Directed by Ryan Coogler), 2018.
- Three Billboads Outside Ebbing Missouri. Written and directed by Martin McDonagh. (2017)
- Phantom Thread. Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. 2017.
Mary on Beauty and the Beast (dir. Con… Pinkspen on Hidden Figures lizagyllenhaal on Hidden Figures Patricia Markert on LaLa Land Mary Markert on LaLa Land
- Follow Devoted to Movies on WordPress.com