photo by Genaro Molina / Los Angeles Times
In the documentary of her last year leading up to her victory on Celebrity Apprentice, which signalled a bit of a resurgence in her career as a comedian, Joan Rivers shows her floor to ceiling card catalog of jokes. As a librarian, I loved the fact that the jokes were in alphabetical order. Cooking jokes were just before Tony Danza jokes. Does she write all her own material? She seems to in this film. Some of the jokes are very very funny. The movie does not lionize her in all her difficulties, but it does document how terribly hard she works. And how personally she takes slights. And how sad she is when her long time manager and she break off their business relationship.
- Three Billboads Outside Ebbing Missouri. Written and directed by Martin McDonagh. (2017)
- Phantom Thread. Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. 2017.
- The Post, directed by Steven Spielberg. 2017.
- A Matter of Life and Death, directed by Michael Powell and Emric Pressburger. 1946.
- Lady Bird. Directed by Greta Gerwig. 2017.
Pinkspen on Hidden Figures lizagyllenhaal on Hidden Figures Patricia Markert on LaLa Land Mary Markert on LaLa Land Patricia Markert on LaLa Land
- Follow Devoted to Movies on WordPress.com